On Mar 19, 2010, at 7:27 AM, Thadeus Burgess wrote:

> CSS does not suck, your just doing it wrong!
>
> Massimo, I have done this layout that you want many many times in css,
> without a framework, ez-css makes this even easier.

The author of ez-css is refreshingly candid, at least by implication, about the
suckiness of CSS for layout. One reason all his layouts work as well as they do
is that all the columns have the same background (white in his examples).
You'll notice if you look at the actual dimensions of his divs on the actual
pages on the site that the column divs are not in fact the same height; you
just don't see it because they're the same color background.

It may be that one's best course is to design around the limitations and
idiosyncrasies of CSS; I do that, pretty much. My complaint is that its box
model from the beginning was unsuited to what designers normally do, and the
result is the proliferation of CSS frameworks that exist mainly to work around
its limitations.

I *ought* to be able to say: put a full-width header and footer on the page.
Give me n columns in any reasonable combination of widths that I care to
specify, and make them all the size of the tallest, with single-pixel borders
all around. And I ought to be able to say it simply. But I can't.

I *can* say that trivially with a table. Tables have their own limitations, and
CSS corrects some of them. But it seems to me that CSS shouldn't have made the
layouts we can get trivially with tables difficult or impossible with CSS.