On Mar 19, 2010, at 8:46 AM, Thadeus Burgess wrote:

> Its really not hard, and the box model is not that bad, its just
> confusing and most don't know how to use it properly.

That's not a good sign.

> http://www.stubbornella.org/content/2009/02/12/css-doesn%E2%80%99t-suck-you%E2%80%99re-just-doing-it-wrong/
>
> Here are perfect examples of the box model working correctly.
>
> http://matthewjamestaylor.com/blog/perfect-3-column.htm
> http://www.alistapart.com/articles/holygrail

I agree that MJT's example is especially nice. But it also makes my point. His
simple 3-column layout has 160 lines of CSS, not all of them for layout, but
the lion's share. And that doesn't count the html that makes it go.

Compare that to the same thing with a table.

And I'm not arguing for tables, particularly, just that CSS should have made
our job easier, not harder.

Example: I should be able to say, for that kind of layout:

Give me a box for the page.

Nest three boxes inside it, on top of each other, each the full width of the
enclosing box.

In the middle of those boxes, nest three more, but left to right.

Let me give each box a name.

Let me constrain each box's horizontal and vertical extent based on any
combination of content, container, percentages and pixels that isn't
self-contradictory. Let the model understand the word "center" in both
dimensions.

(Now, if on top of that model I want to define more boxes that float around,
etc, fine, no objection. But it needn't be part of my base layout.)

And now let me, separate from that description, pour my content into named
boxes.

When I first heard of CSS, way back whenever, that's kind of what I imagined
it'd be like, from the early glowing descriptions. Boy, was I surprised.