There is a conspiracy that the google bot reduces the page ranking if
it uses a table layout instead of css layout.

I don't believe it though, since why would google NOT index something?

The limitations of tables mean you can't reorganize your content, that
is the beauty of css, you can take the same html file, plug different
css into it and have a completely different site, only because the css
file changes.

http://www.csszengarden.com/ (on the right side is links to apply
different css layouts to the same html page)

Its really not hard, and the box model is not that bad, its just
confusing and most don't know how to use it properly.

http://www.stubbornella.org/content/2009/02/12/css-doesn%E2%80%99t-suck-you%E2%80%99re-just-doing-it-wrong/

Here are perfect examples of the box model working correctly.

http://matthewjamestaylor.com/blog/perfect-3-column.htm
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/holygrail

-Thadeus