This is what I normally do:

1) I use LinkedIN with RPX (but should be same with OAuth)
2) my auth_user table is populated automatically when users login via
RPX
3) my auth_user table as a field "registered' invisible and defaults
to false
4) my model has this code

if auth.user and request.function!='user' and not
auth.user.registered:
    redirect(URL('default','user/profile'))

5) this forces users to complete a registration process.
6) my auth_user table also a boolean manager field that defaults to
false.
7) I use appadmin to promote users to managers