good question!

if the account is authenticated using linkedin then I want to set-up the
account a specific way.

if the account is registered/logged-in the 'usual way' then I want to set-up
the account in a specific but different way.

I take your point with respect to "trust". I've missed a night's sleep so
will think on that some more. But now I need to go out :)