Let us be blunt about this. Web2py is out there megalomaniacally
presenting itself as all things to all people at a web framework
level. As it is now, Web2py is a very impressive achievement.

At a purely technical level Web2py is superior to Django in a large
number of important aspects. But that is not the point. Leaving aside
the irritating Django fan-boys, Django does not present itself as all
things to all people. At the top level Django presents itself as a
commercially backed niche product suitable for simple content
presentation of small organisations (such as regional newspapers).

If we take a straight comparison with a completely different web
framework that presents itself as all things to all people. such as
DotNet, then web2py must accept there are issues for comparison that
go way beyond pet issues found in the narrow confines of the academic
or fan-boy environments.

Here are some simple comparison points.

1) Corporate backing independent of lead developers
2) Proven scalability around simple metrics
3) The 'largest' projects

DotNet has been around for ten years now and has very wide
penetration. Where is Web2py going to be in ten years and what will
its penetration be?

Frankly I cannot imagine someone with Massimo's talents as remaining
interested in Web2py, despite his deep involvement now in Web2py.
Massimo in a prior life was a talented high energy physicist, why
shouldn't he change again? Who knows, maybe a vice chancellor of the
University of Chicago trying to keep a lid on embarrassing student/
staff scandals or fraudulent research, or lobbying for grants?

I am not being unfair to Web2py.

With regard to Django and Disqus, 30% of about 100 servers (about 30
servers) just appear to run Apache + mod_wsgi. This presumably is
where Django lives. The other 70% of servers are for databases,
caching, load balancing and for other Python scripts. This information
comes from http://www.slideshare.net/zeeg/djangocon-2010-scaling-disqus.
Since we can expect a lot of the requests are for the same
information, we can expect caching is very important.

Disqus claims to be able to reach 17,000 requests for seconds or about
570 requests per second per Apache server. Suppose each request lasts
no longer than a generous 200ms on average then Apache needs to be
able to maintain about 114 requests at once.  Since Apache spawns or
maintains a thread for each request, this means that each server needs
to be able to maintain nearly 114 threads per server at once. I am not
impressed by this.

Consider that Lighttpd can handle 10,000 requests per second ON A
SINGLE SERVER using year 2000 technology.

John Heenan