I don't know why but Java hasn't been mentioned even once. Java has
seen lots of deployment, and I imagine some huge stuff might have been
built on it, and it's open-source-ish. :)

PHP? It's well capable of handling it's business, you know. Facebook's
front-end runs on PHP. And it's open-source. Ugly as hell, too.

Ruby on Rails was another option, right? Has all the benefits of an
open-source project with all the benefits of the 'proven to scale'
argument?

And finally, Erlang. Proven to massively scale in right hands, proven
ability to deal with hugely concurrent apps... If it's good enough for
Ericsson, right? I mean telecomm software: real-time, distributed, and
how many people use phones (including cells) around the world?
Facebook chat runs on it, Github has some components ported to Erlang,
and generally, wherever real-timeness is a priority, it's unbeatable.

So, it's not .NET vs web2py. It's proven-to-scale (they gave .NET and
Rails as examples, iirc), versus web2py. You have open-source
solutions other than Python/web2py. Frankly, I'd always bet on Erlang.
But I never learn enough of it to get started. :)

--
Branko Vukelić

bg.bra...@gmail.com
stu...@brankovukelic.com