On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 5:57 PM, Thadeus Burgess <thade...@thadeusb.com> wrote:
> The latter.
>
> No time to test aside from upgrading in production.

Oh, but that's a bit upside down. web2py comes with no warranties, you
should at least test it a bit before going live. And as a double-win,
you also help judging the quality of web2py release. Just updating the
live site would be plain irresponsible, I think, even if Massimo had a
clean bug-free record. Of course, you can do it anyway if it's not a
mission-critical site (not too many users, or very forgiving users,
etc), but for an important site, it's just not a good practice in
general, regardless of web2py's release scheme.

> No time to develop a test application which can handle all of web2py
> features (including all DAL databases)

That's why I suggested the unstable-stable scheme in the first place.
Test unstable. If it's good for you, shoot a message to mailing list
(if you want), and deploy it. If it's not good, then shoot a bug
report to the mailing list, and Massimo can roll out the bugfix
release soon after that. Rinse, repeat.

> No time to set up and maintain a server just for said tests.

See above about the "said tests". On the other hand, I don't think it
would be too crazy to make a test server (or even a test virtual host)
just for testing the potential candidate for live deployment.

--
Branko Vukelic

stu...@brankovukelic.com
http://www.brankovukelic.com/