On Dec 23, 2010, at 1:11 PM, Branko Vukelić wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 6:19 PM, Jonathan Lundell <jlund...@pobox.com> wrote:
>> Seriously: no.
>
> Seriously: yes. Why? Because it's YOUR work that is going to suffer if
> you don't. Why WOULDN'T you test something you are going to deploy?
> I've just tested dozen frameworks and even PHP before starting a
> project, and I'm a hobbyist. Are you telling me professional
> developers aren't expected to make an informed choice about their
> platform? If that's the case, "professional developers" are people I
> would NEVER trust to do their job right.

Because I'm not deploying it (the current version, that is).

For the same reason we don't tell users that they *must* use Python 2.7.1, and
re-test their 2.4-based code for compatibility: it works.

Not me personally; I use the latest versions of stuff, pretty much. But I
understand the reason for not wanting to, or at least not wanting to have to.

>> That is, if I'm using a release from six months ago, and all I need is a
>> point fix,
>
> Then you can dig around the commits and make yourself a patch. At
> least that's what I'd do.

It's what I'd do too. But it makes web2py less friendly than it could be.