I think Massimo hit it on the spot. Its about coding style. Most of the
people I see giving web2py criticism are young. Considering that beginning
in about 2001 colleges starting only teaching java and handing out degrees,
it might be safe to assume that most of these guys knew Java as their first
language.  Not to mention that someone who went to school for 4 years for
software engineering will have been uniquely tuned to a specific coding
style (object oriented).

I like web2py, and I do have uses for it on a daily basis to accomplish real
world work. I use web2py alot to provide a web based access to automating
statistical analysis. Usually these type of apps need to change often and
can even change drastically, which is why I like web2py for them.

--
Thadeus