I really reminds me situation I started to work with PlayFramework a few
years ago. Its excelent JAVA web framework, but its done in
completely(internaly) different way than how the rest of the JAVA frameworks
being  done(using standard servlet concept). The developers of Play! have a
nice section on their site(under FAQ) called: "You guys don’t even know how
to program in Java..." and they are trying to explain here why they did many
things in a very different way in many areas that others describe as it is
against a "good JAVA practices"

http://www.playframework.org/documentation/1.1/faq

David