I'm still having this problem too (previous posts linked below).  I
would love to find a solution.  I'm not sure how to debug.

VP: Can you provide instructions for reproducing this bug using ab?  I
had trouble using ab in the past.  I am also on a VPS.

Since my last post (linked below), I have tried the following:
  1) setting migrate=False
  2) compiling the app

These did not fix the problem.