This is great. To avoid confusion, though, would it make more sense to move
this material into the "URL Rewrite" section of Chapter 4:
http://web2py.com/book/default/chapter/04#URL-Rewrite

Maybe keep the first paragraph of that section and then mention that there
are now two distinct URL rewriting systems -- for most use cases, a fairly
simple router-based system (involving dictionaries of routing parameters),
and for more complex cases, a powerful regular expression based system. Then
create two subsections to explain the two systems (e.g., "Router System" and
"Pattern Matching System", or something along those lines). For app-specific
routing, we could either keep the "Application-Specific URL Rewrite"
subsection (
http://web2py.com/book/default/chapter/04#Application-Specific-URL-Rewrite)
and simply expand it to include the new router system, or instead include
separate app-specific rewrite subsections within the Router and Pattern
Matching sections.

It's also probably worth mentioning the following somewhere:

   - Although the router example file is called router.example.py, the
   routers still need to go in routes.py (i.e., not router.py).
   - You cannot mix router dictionaries with the old regex routes_in and
   routes_out (yet).
   - routes_onerror still works the same regardless of which routing system
   you're using (i.e., still regex based).

Anthony