@Constantine Vasil
I had a similat task earlier.
I am using a third party library named 'DABO'.
Placed that in 'site-packages' folder within 'web2py' (source) &
imported that in models & controllers as required.
(Before that, I had tried placing it in 'modules' folder, but could
not import in controller/model, don't know why).

After the first import, While importing it next time, there is no
overhead (since python will not again import it, but read from .pyc
file).

Excuse me if I have not understood your question properely, but this's
my take on your question, based on what I did for my similar problem.

--- Vineet