@Johann, below code does not work for me. :(
    links = [lambda row: A('Edit' , _href = URL('default',
'edit_journal', args = [row.id]))]

I used details='False'  and it does not show the buttons to me, but
shows my custom button only which is what I intended.

Again for the community - -----------
I was just wondering if I can use the row.id or any information with
sqlform.grid -
Below is the link I have defined to show a button called Send Request.
I have re-directed it to use a custom function "regstatus" that passes
a row.id argument.
---code---
links = [lambda row: A(SPAN(_class='icon plus'),'Send
Request',_class='positive
button',_href=URL("default","reqstatus",args=[row.id]))]
---
I want to know how can I use the row.id  (in above -> args=[row.id])
value and use it to make queries considering I want to use this id in
my function "reqstatus" above -

Example- I would like to send some request to the record (row id) on
which I am say a friend request etc.

Can we achieve this?

Or may be I'll have to use a different approach to this problem
altogether

Thanks, Rahul D (www.flockbird.com - web2py powered)