> You're right, if you careful enough, you can separate the changes to the
> CMS code required by your application and release just them. But this is
> just one of the abusive tactics which GPL protects against.

I don't see how that is "abusive" if the license allows it.

> It is not possible to release a code that depends on GPL components under
> LGPL. You have to use GPL as an umbrella license. It's simpler to use GPL
> from the start in such a case.

I don't see how it is simpler to use GPL from the start. If you start with
GPL, then include a GPL'ed library in the project, the resulting combined
worked is released as GPL. On the other hand, if you start with LGPL, then
include a GPL'ed library in the project, the resulting combined work is
released as GPL. Same thing. Just as simple. Am I missing something?

> Unless you do that, you want be able to use code under many licenses
> compatible with GPL but not with LGPL, so there is more flexibility in what
> code you can include.

Once you're resigned to releasing the combined work as GPL, starting with a
GPL rather than LGPL library affords no additional flexibility regarding
what can be included. However, if you don't want to release the combined
work as GPL, starting with an LGPL library offers more flexibility, as it
at least makes that possible (assuming you include only LGPL-compatible
libraries in the project).

Anthony