Thanks Jonathan.

*Q1:*
*>(Does Google really forbid upper case?)*

. I wouldn't say forbid, but if your name google user name is jonlun, or
jon.lun  you can sign in with JonLun, or JON.LUN  -
  But. I notice* in web2py,* I can have users like JSMITH, jSmith, smith -
and I can't think of a reason I would want that.

*Q2:*
*> Do you mean "User name must start with lower case or a period"?*

. No, I want just like google, you can have periods, but NOT as first
letter. (I have plans for first letter NOT being a period)
*   When you say: '[.a-z].*' is probably too permissive,*
   is that because someone could enter names like john..........smith  ?

. I will work on making the messages more clear.
  I will have a comment, on the form,
   users will see,so they don't have to wait for the error box to learn
what is acceptable

Thanks for very fast response, I'll keep testing it out...

Rob