> auth.define_tables(username=True)
> db.auth_user.username.requires.insert(0,IS_MATCH("[a-z].*"))
> *the .insert seemed to give me error. *

Hmm, it should work. By default, the username field has an IS_MATCH and and
IS_NOT_IN_DB validator, so you should be able to insert into the beginning
of the list. What error did you get? Is there some code you're not showing?

> *Important Note:*
>  I had to add, IS_NOT_IN_DB, or new registrations would *OVERWRITE*existing
> ones,
>   which surprised me a lot.

Are you sure? That doesn't seem right. Anyway, they do need to be unique,
so the IS_NOT_IN_DB is necessary, which is why the IS_MATCH was inserted
above -- to preserve the existing IS_NOT_IN_DB validator.

Anthony