ok, maybe some progress.  i removed any instances of psycopg2 from my
computer and web2py by default was and is not forced to use only the
contrib/pg8000 driver.  i think i would rather use that one anyway.  when i
changed the pool_size from the default 0 to 16, the initial
ticket/exception above stopped being logged.  so i was under the impression
that all was good again, but then my users have still been having logging
in, but this time it tells them it is an unrecoverable error and when i try
to see the ticket on their computer after this message, i can't pull
anything up.  so now i can not trace the problem and the users still have
infrequent times the site is crashing unrecoverably.  when i look into the
ticket logs i only get a bunch of these:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/web-apps/web2py/gluon/restricted.py", line 209, in restricted
    exec ccode in environment
  File "/opt/web-apps/web2py/applications/admin/controllers/default.py"
<https://weinstruct.org/admin/default/edit/admin/controllers/default.py>, line
1726, in <module>
  File "/opt/web-apps/web2py/gluon/globals.py", line 185, in <lambda>
    self._caller = lambda f: f()
  File "/opt/web-apps/web2py/applications/admin/controllers/default.py"
<https://weinstruct.org/admin/default/edit/admin/controllers/default.py>, line
1548, in ticket
    e.load(request, app, ticket)
  File "/opt/web-apps/web2py/gluon/restricted.py", line 168, in load
    d = ticket_storage.load(request, app, ticket_id)
  File "/opt/web-apps/web2py/gluon/restricted.py", line 96, in load
    return cPickle.load(ef)
EOFError

but i am not sure what this means because it looks internal to web2py.  i have
upgraded to 2.0.8 a few days ago; so i am up to date.

so i am still having trouble finding if it is the postgresql-9.1, the pg8000
driver, web2py, the DAL, my code, my views, i just don't know.  pretty
frustrating.  lucas