Mike Schrag stated in the "State of the Union" thread:

<quote>
* My understanding is that JavaClient stuff is technically still there, but there's not very good tool support for it. NetBeans project file support for Entity Modeler would allow the combination of Entity Modeler plus the Swing designer tools from NetBeans, which would probably be a good platform to start from for that (Swing builders in Eclipse I think mostly suck still?).
</quote>

If anyone outside of Apple could know what the true _current_ state of WO is under the hood, it would be Mike - note, I'm not saying he _does_, just than if anyone could, it would him). He also seems to have a pretty good understanding of the tools for some reason... :) I don't think anyone, even at Apple, knows what is _going_ to happen to the JC libraries that haven't been depreciated. I think that it may take hearing from the development community as to what they use and want to determine it's future. Please don't be quiet!

Good point. We'll send some feedback and questions directly to Apple and hope we'll not be the only ones...

I don't know if the new javaEOGenerator supports Java Client classes or not, I haven't had a chance to look yet, but with the tool soon-to-be open-sourced, I'm sure it can be added if there are enough people needing it. Other than that, I don't think there's any other WO-specific tools required for doing a Swing/SWT/etc Client. Am I wrong?

AFAIK you're right, important are the libraries.

As far as ways to continue JC development without D2JC and Nib- based options, please read Florijan Stamenkovic's turorial on how to setup Swing-only UIs: "WebObjects Java Client, the 3rd way" at http://web.mac.com/flor385/eSwamp/software/wojc_tutorial.html

Thanks, and I definitively will read it.

I know I'm planning on digging into it soon because a large portion of my application is D2JC, which will need to be replaced.

He sent it out to a bunch of us JC people a few weeks ago, but hasn't gotten any feedback on it yet. He is currently Internet- challenged due to where he's living. I'll get his permission to send it out the library. Anybody who wants it, email me off-list.

It would probably be good to make some more publicity to his page, if he's not against that? Maybe just to start with some editing of http://wiki.objectstyle.org/confluence/display/WO/Java+Client- Overview. Because I really tried to google out some more info about the JC future and about the 3rd way posibilities, and what I found was rather sad. Style "No Future" ;)

Last thing - in a review I have read, that there are at least about 50 organizations, who use Java Client. So we are not many, but definitively not alone. Do you have some idea, how to get a bit more of the actual JC info/people together? Maybe to share info, maybe just do discuss the alternatives, maybe to send to Apple/WO community a message, that there are some people using it and that it's a viable solution?

Long live JC!

Dave

;)))

Jarda