Not a lawyer either (but somedays wishing I had done that instead of computer science...) I though the license was pretty clear that this redistribution was only allowed to run the application. Extracting WO from the Application, or using it for anything else is contrary to the terms of the license. I lack the will to read through it again. I recall Pierre confirming this again recently.
Sheesh ... You, sir, ruin everyone's fun.

The license is nearly impossible to find on the intertubes. The version on Apple's site is wo-fully (*rimshot*) out of date. I had to go and redownload 5.4.1 to get it.

For posterity:

D. WebObjects Software. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, you may use, install and permit others to access the WebObjects deployment software included with the Developer Software to deploy application programs developed using Apple’s WebObjects Software. You may also reproduce and distribute: (1) over a network, components of the WebObjects deployment software for installation and use by others ("Java Client End Users") on any remote computer’s volatile memory (e.g. RAM) to enable Java Client functionality for the sole purpose of communicating with Apple’s WebObjects Software that may be installed and executed on the same Apple-labeled computer on which you have installed the Developer Software (the "Licensed System"); and (2) both manually and automatically over a network, components of the WebObjects deployment software for installation and use by Java Client End Users on any remote computer’s non-volatile memory (e.g. ROM) to enable Java Client functionality for the sole purpose of communicating with Apple’s WebObjects Software that may be installed and executed on the Licensed System; provided that all distributions to Java Client End Users are made under terms that are at least as restrictive as those set forth in this License and contain the disclaimers and limitations set forth in Sections 6 and 7 of this License. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, you may also deploy server applications built with the WebObjects Software on any platform.

So it would seem the two relevant lines here are:

Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, you may use, install and permit others to access the WebObjects deployment software included with the Developer Software to deploy application programs developed using Apple’s WebObjects Software

and

Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, you may also deploy server applications built with the WebObjects Software on any platform.

The "terms and conditions of this license" are defined previously (in 2A) as "Subject to the terms below [me: awesome -- a loop!] you may use the Developer Software on Apple-labeled computers to: (i) test the Developer Software; and (ii) develop application and other software.". It does also say "The Developer Software contains WebObjects development and deployment components (the "WebObjects Software") ... which are subject to the additional terms and conditions set forth in Sections 2D, 2E and 2F below". ("D" shown above is what it's referring to).

So the last sentence of 2D says that you can deploy an app on any platform. The big question is how they choose to interpret "subject to the terms and conditions of this license" with respect to a deployment. If you interpret the meaning of the last sentence to be that you can deploy the software anywhere to run on any platform, then it seems to me to be in conflict with 2A's restriction that you can only use the software to develop apps on an Apple-labeled computer, which, to me, says that is the incorrect interpretation of the sentence.

Paradoxes aside, though, I suspect that this is just a really really poorly written legal document and Chuck is probably right that their INTENT is to prevent development on any platform but a Mac. One more sentence saying that explicitly would probably go a long way, though (basically saying that the distribution license does not provide for any permissions to develop new applications or something along those lines).

ms