On May 08, 2008, at 10:28, Ken Anderson wrote:

There are a number of issues with prefetching relationships that relate back to an abstract entity.

Yay... Is this true also of single-table inheritance?

I haven't tried this in a VERY long time, so if I were you, I'd experiment with this before moving ahead with a concrete plan.

Bottom line, if you don't need other people to access these tables, single table inheritance is the most likely way to go.

OK, a question or two more on ST...

Just to get it straight, you keep the not-null constraints in the model, but skip them in the db? Can't find docs on this...

Also, I've been reading the UsingEOModeler part of the old Apple's WO documentation, and when modeling single-table inheritance it uses the integers 2 and 9 (as opposed to for example 1 and 2) to designate two different subentities. The docs say that later on they would say why they used those two integers, but never do... What's that all about? The example in the wiki does not mention this, but then again it does not mention much at all...