editingContext().globalIDForObject(on) will be an EOTemporaryGlobalID until the object is saved. You can use Wonder to get a permanent key, but if the transaction is not committed, you will get gaps in the sequence (I think).

Yeah, there's that. When I do this I add an if to check if the object is saved. I am used to not having unique IDs before stuff is saved. Also for IDs that are not global ID based... It's just how it is.