Hi Stephane,

the trouble with Flash is that's a proprietary format : http:// codemoiunmouton.wordpress.com/2009/04/24/le-top-10-des-critiques-sur- flash/

Yes, you needs a Plugins, if you decide to stay in the browser, or a runtime if you wants develop Desktop Apps for Windows, Mac and Linux : http://timesreader.nytimes.com/timesreader/index.html Flex is opensource, LCDS is expensive and not opensource, but you have BlazeDS an opensource subset, AMF specification are public ...

There's other alternatives : http://codemoiunmouton.wordpress.com/ 2009/07/01/flex-ou-silverlight/

        Athena :  http://www.baao.com/Video/Athena

        Goods news, you can develop with your Mac and Eclipse ....

        HTH,
        Stephane

PS : to wait until other alternatives emerge having fun time : http://codemoiunmouton.wordpress.com/2009/07/03/realite-augmentee-et- flash/