Maybe people can put their patched frameworks somewhere so that people can try them before the patch is applied to HEAD? For example, people who use H2 could try the patch I did to support the LIMIT operator and they can report if it's working for them. Even if most don't have commit access, it doesn't stop people to try/review the patch.

Building examples and tests is another good way to review the patchs too :-)

if new people end up stepping up to do this, keep in mind that rejecting patches is just as important as applying patches ... if you want to do it, you just need to be comfortable telling people to go back to the drawing board sometimes. we tend to get pretty good quality patches for the most part, but occasionally there's some crazy.