Am 23.04.2010 um 05:46 schrieb Gaastra Dennis - WO Lists:

Ciao Pascale,

You are great and your efforts are very much appreciated. I have also been more than my share, in driving my internal apple WebObjects contact crazy, and complaining why he can't release any of his new work outside of Apple. But as much as he feels for the community, he can't do anything.

[1] So what can we do - as a community - to ensure that these new WebObjects releases get indeed released outside of Apple?

[2] Who are the persons blocking any new public WebObjects releases and what are their motivations?

[3] What are our options for moving forward?

How about we do a petition to Apple and/or a "Dear Steve Jobs" email?

I already did this. Quite a while ago. It got ignored silently …

Anfang der weitergeleiteten E-Mail:

Von: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf <lars.sonchocky-helld...@hamburg.de>
Datum: 16. April 2008 01:23:45 MESZ
An: sj...@apple.com
Betreff: the notorious WebObjects case

Hi Steve,

I am a software developer in the custom solutions business. Our company develops mostly web based software. Traditionally we use WebObjects for this, because Webobjects is a great piece of software, because we like WebObjects.

Over the time I've used a lot of different Web frameworks: plain JavaServer Pages ( http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/ - only good for very basic stuff), Apache Struts ( http://struts.apache.org/ - one word: primitive), Apache Tapestry ( http://tapestry.apache.org/ - somewhat of a clone of WebObjects but subpar and crippled), a little JavaServer Faces in a single project ( http://java.sun.com/ javaee/javaserverfaces/ - very intricate) and in a current project Apache Wicket ( http://wicket.apache.org/ - this one actually somewhat compares to WebObjects but misses EOF).

WebObjects is still the best but sadly customer confidence dwindle.

While I like WebObjects most for its efficiency, beauty and maturity, most of our customers either never heard of it - or - if they know it - slowly loose faith in it. In the old days customers explicitly asked for Webobjects but now it gets harder and harder each day to convince customers to choose WebObjects as base technology for new projects we implement for them. Mostly the main concern is "uncertainty about the future of WebObjects", sometimes "vendor lock in" and more and more because it is "proprietary technology". We used most of the technologies mentioned above because our customers insisted on it - not because we wanted to do so. The competition for the mind share all those open source frameworks create also plays a role in this. Now I think WebObjects has still a lot of potential, despite its currently decreasing mind share and support (less and less WebObjects sessions at the WWDCs, slow update cycle with almost no new features in the last years (I like to see full fledged AJAX support, HTML 5, annotation based authorization and security, integrated Unit testing support - to name a few.)).

Why not repeat the success of WebKit?

WebKit turned out to be a huge success lately, it gets picket up by a lot of projects and companies, it was the first to pass the Acid3 web standards test. Why is that? I think a great part of this success comes from being open source. People grab the code, fix bugs, extend it, tweak and port it to their needs and integrate it easily in their products. Even Apple profits from this development.

To me WebObjects is like the older brother of WebKit - it just lives on the other side of the web - the server. Both get together less and less often but when they meet they're still the number one team.

Apple could open source WebObjects and people will come and improve it. That would make a great WWDC announcement.

keeping the faith,

        Lars

cheers,