On 07/12/2010, at 9:16 AM, Chuck Hill wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2010, at 2:10 PM, Paul Hoadley wrote:
>
>> On 07/12/2010, at 6:13 AM, Chuck Hill wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a Wiki page for EOF and Postgres?  It strikes me as this is
>>> something that should be documented.  I don't think  we can "fix" it, as it
>>> would impact people with existing data.
>>
>> I can put it here:
>>
>> http://wiki.objectstyle.org/confluence/display/WO/Database+Compatibility+and+Comparisons-PostgreSQL
>
> Perhaps more likely to be found here:
> http://wiki.objectstyle.org/confluence/display/WO/Project+WONDER-Frameworks-PostgresqlPlugin

OK.

>> I'm just trying to nail down one last detail.  I've noted that calling
>> TimeZone.setDefault() in the Application constructor doesn't seem to occur
>> early enough to influence the JDBC driver's creation of its default
>> GregorianCalendar.  Setting user.timezone works, but it _doesn't_ work from
>> a Properties file, which would have been ideal.  The only method that works
>> is setting -Duser.timezone=UTC as a launch argument, which is a pain because
>> I have to remember to do it every time I set up a new app.  Is there any way
>> I can get some code called even earlier than the Application constructor?
>
> I suspect the problem is that the driver is in /Library/Java/Extensions

Yeah, that's where I've got it.

> and so is getting loaded and initialized by the boot class loader (or is that
> root class loader?  Q will know.).  If that is where it is, try removing it
> from there and adding it to /Libraries in your application.  That should
> delay loading until after the Properties values are available.

Surprisingly, that _doesn't_ work.  I see:

  user.timezone=UTC

And then later in the TimestampUtils constructor:

TimestampUtils.TimestampUtils: System.getProperty("user.timezone") = UTC
TimestampUtils.TimestampUtils: defaultCal.getTimeZone() =
sun.util.calendar.ZoneInfo[id="Australia/Adelaide"...

defaultCal is its default GregorianCalendar that's causing the problem.

--
Paul.

http://logicsquad.net/