On Feb 7, 2013, at 5:59 AM, Pascal Robert wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Based on the feedback we have so far in the surveys (if you haven't answered
> the 2013 surveys, please do it in the next 7 days), we established a list of
> goals for 2013:
>
> - We need a jQuery framework. According to the surveys, members of the
> community use jQuery almost as much as the Ajax framework from Wonder. In
> fact, I'm wondering how you use it now, in Direct Actions? Just for effects?
> If you already have a jQuery framework that you would like to give to the
> community, we can work it out.

We have a couple of these already. What's missing?

> - Better integration between WO and iOS (and Android). ERSync is a start, and
> I was thinking maybe we could make a tool that reads a CoreData model,
> convert it to a EOModel and automatically build REST services for the model.

I read this as Java Client for mobile.

> - A "Project Wonder Cookbook". That book would contains, two pages max,
> solutions to common problems and questions about Project Wonder.

I often observe that the biggest problem WO devs have isn't solving a problem
with WO/Wonder. Instead, I see is WO devs reinventing wheels. Writing solutions
for problems already covered by WO/Wonder.

The frameworks are so big, people just don't realize what's in there and come
up with one off solutions that aren't as robust in the end.

Maybe we should have some WOCommunity highlights or something. A monthly "Hey,
check out this {framework | component | class}. Did you know ...?" sort of
thing. Validation is one of these things. WO offers validation. Wonder improves
it greatly. Everyone seems to make up their own anyway.

> - Getting more people to understand and work on WOLips.

That'll be tough. Q is our lifeline right now. Without him, I don't think
anyone would have updated WOLips for 4.2.

> - A easy-to-install development environment, that would install not only
> WOLips and Eclipse, but also the core WO frameworks and Project Wonder.

I've given up on this happening. There's too much to do for an installer and
its painful work without any direct benefit for the author who would need to
provide ongoing maintenance and support.  It would need to install:

Eclipse
WOLips
eGit/git
jadclipse
WebObjects
clone and import Wonder
Set up the wolips.properties
Apache
mod_webobjects

And lots of these pieces update independently of the others. The getting
started guide on the wiki is pretty good. It just needs to include the apache
setup.  I had a guy showing interest in WO here at work and he gave up at
Apache. I'm hoping he will get a second wind.

> - A easy to use deployment service. Having helped many people with deployment
> issues, it looks like deployment is still an issue.

The linux stuff you are working on sounds promising. I haven't had a chance to
try them out yet, but it would be nice to be able to stay up to date on java
monitor and wotaskd with a package manager.

> - Redesign of wocommunity.org.

I think wocommunity.org does the job just fine as is. What are you wanting to
redesign?

> - Looking at how we can replace parts of WO with open source parts. The
> Cayenne training day at WOWODC 2013 is the first step toward that goal.

Keeping my comments to myself :-)

> How are we going to finance this? We will change how the membership works. We
> will have the following options:
>
> - $50 for regular membership. This $50 will be for paying recurrent charges,
> like the hosting fees for wocommunity.org, and to pay for deposits related to
> WOWODC. You still get early access to WOWODC recordings.
>
> - $300 for Bronze Sponsorship. You get membership + your company logo on
> wocommunity.org for 6 months (on rotation with other sponsors).
>
> - $750 for Silver Sponsorship. You get membership + your company logo on
> wocommunity.org for 12 months (on rotation with other sponsors) and your logo
> on the WOWODC site.
>
> - $1500 for Gold Sponsorship. You get membership + your company logo on
> wocommunity.org for 12 months (no rotation) and your logo on the WOWODC site.
> You also get one WOWODC 2013 ticket.

A nice flyer or something I could hand to/forward to my boss would be good
here. We are suffering a shortage of WO devs currently, so maybe pitch it as a
way to get more exposure with developers might help. As someone else mentioned,
it would be even better if it were tax deductible and mentioned that
specifically.