On Oct 22, 2010, at 8:43 AM, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
>> To be fair,
>> this left the Drupal team little time to organise and put forth a decent
>> demo-site as well as manage the discussions on the mailist.
>
> No, to be fair one has to note that drupal, while loudly advocating it
> didn't use that time to build one.

I don't think this is fair. You showed a demo of SilverStripe right away, which
set the frame of the conversation and led naturally to it becoming the starting
point for discussions.

I also think we became overly fixated on demos much too early, while the
requirements list was still in flux. We could have done a better job discussing
the requirements and exactly what they meant, before trying to build any demo
sites. Then, we should have had the same people build all demo sites, so that
they could compare the experiences as accurately as possible. This is why I
repeatedly asked you, Christian, to install and test Drupal, since you'd
already done so with SilverStripe.

In fact, as I mentioned in a separate email, I think an analysis of other peer
projects using each CMS gives us a better picture of the longterm capability
than a demo made in a day or week with no strategic planning behind it.

The strategic planning is what we really missed in this process. Information
Architecture and wireframes should have happened before any CMS implementation.
I am concerned we'll make the same mistake when implementing a live CMS as we
did for the demo, which could hamstring us in the future if we choose a
platform that is less extensible.

-Ben

Benjamin Horst
bho...@mac.com