Ian Bicking wrote:
> Jason Hildebrand wrote:
>> Hi Ian,
>>
>> I'd like to change how the 'http' option is specified.  Basically
>> I'd like
>> to have this as an AppServer.config option such as "HTTPPort", which
>> would then (via the MiscUtils.Configurable mechanism) also be
>> available on the commandline (i.e. AppServer
>> --AppServer.HTTPPort=8080).
>>
>> Does this sound ok to you?  Do you think it's necessary to continue
>> to accept the "http" command line option (my inclination would be no,
>> as this functionality has not been in a previous release).
>
> I agree, the http option is hard to remember.  I think the monitor
> service was started that way, and I just copied it, so I didn't put
> any thought into it one way or the other.
>
> I'm a little confused about the HTTPPort stuff -- isn't that how it
> already works?  Or do you mean, if any value is given for HTTPPort,
> start the HTTP server?

I think the situation right now is, you have to specify "http" on the
command-line in order to get HTTP at all.  The port used defaults to 8087,
which can be overridden by specifying HTTPPort in the config file.  I think
Jason is proposing that the command line argument goes away, and HTTPPort
defaults to None, so you _have_ to specify HTTPPort in your config file in
order to get HTTP.

If so, I like it.  This also solves the problem of how exactly you are
supposed to get HTTP if you are running as a Windows Service, in which case
there are no command line arguments...  (I had to do it by inserting a
horrible hack into the source code).

- Geoff