On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 14:58 -0600, Ian Bicking wrote:
> Jason Hildebrand wrote:
> > Hi Ian,
> >
> > I'd like to change how the 'http' option is specified.  Basically I'd like
> > to have this as an AppServer.config option such as "HTTPPort", which would
> then
> > (via the MiscUtils.Configurable mechanism) also be available on the
> > commandline (i.e. AppServer --AppServer.HTTPPort=8080).

> I agree, the http option is hard to remember.  I think the monitor
> service was started that way, and I just copied it, so I didn't put any
> thought into it one way or the other.

Ok, I'll make this change.

> I'm a little confused about the HTTPPort stuff -- isn't that how it
> already works?  Or do you mean, if any value is given for HTTPPort,
> start the HTTP server?

Oops, I didn't notice there is already a 'HTTPPort' option.  I had
meant the latter -- if any value is given for HTTPPort, we start
the server.  On second thought, it might be more clear to use two options:
'UseBuiltinHTTPServer' (boolean) to enable the server, and
'HTTPPort' (which already exists) to specify the port.

I think I prefer the name 'BuiltinHTTPServerPort' over 'HTTPPort' though.
It's annoying long, but 'HTTPPort' is very likely to confuse new webware
uses who haven't yet grasped how a webserver and the appserver typically
communicate.  I foresee someone setting up apache on port 80, and then
also setting 'HTTPPort' in Webware to 80. :(

peace,
Jason