No I didn't. In fact I didn't play around with nice levels etc.

The "original" RPi is a Pi 2 (more by accident than intention, but it
should have enough "welly") - it now runs just weewx and a single camera
and its CPU utilisation is very low.

In fact, the original "lockouts" weren't coincident with weewx's reporting
and seemed pretty random (and infrequent). I still suspect that the whole
issue had something to do with the fact that this "original" machine stores
"/" on my NFS and consequently Ethernet traffic is high.

Cheers

PS: The RPi now running 3 cameras, several Adafruit sensors and audio
streaming has had a traumatic history. It is a "Model B+ and was originally
housed outdoors in a weatherproof clear plastic case. Unfortunately, this
case wasn't as rugged as hoped and about 12 months ago - after it had
crashed and following a few days of high wind and heavy rain - I found the
RPi lying in the grass, soaking wet and covered in a kind of powdery grey
gunk. I cleaned it up (toothbrush + alcohol + compressed air) and it then
worked fine agin. The only lasting damage being the failure of the
spring/clip thing that holds the SD card in place - this is now secured by
a plastic cable tie. The original SD card was completely fried.