On Sunday, October 30, 2016 at 4:47:57 AM UTC-4, Macha wrote:

> In fact, the original "lockouts" weren't coincident with weewx's reporting
> and seemed pretty random (and infrequent). I still suspect that the whole
> issue had something to do with the fact that this "original" machine stores
> "/" on my NFS and consequently Ethernet traffic is high.

all evidence (from 5+ years of dealing with these stations) points to a
hardware problem with the fine offset hardware and/or firmware design, not
a software problem on the computer.

the usb comm failures you were experiencing are not due to the cpu load of
the pi or weewx's ability to process - they are due to the
voltage/current/power on the usb.