Hi Gary

Yes the leading space must have been causing the error, as when i used your
workaround
raw_datetime_format = " %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"
the dry run proceeded.
The data have now been added to weewx.sdb. Thanks again.
I had noticed that the datetime format was split across lines when i pasted
it in here, but had checked that it wasn't like that in the original file
already. How i managed to add a leading space to the data in the datetime
column is unknown!

I found that when i set the interval=30 in the configuration file, and also
provided a mapping for interval, then i got:
Warning: Records to be imported contain multiple different 'interval'
values.
         This may mean the imported data is missing some records and it may
lead
         to data integrity issues. If the raw data has a known, fixed
interval
         value setting the relevant 'interval' setting in wee_import config
         this value may give a better result.
So i changed to interval=derived, with the field map still in place, and
get the same error.
Then i removed the interval mapping and get a different error:
Cannot derive 'interval' for record timestamp: 2010-10-31 01:15:13 IST
(1288484113).
**** Raw data is not in ascending date time order.
**** Nothing done, exiting.
Finally i reverted to interval=30, with no mapping and all proceeded
without error.
Regards
John