..... or the cables .... or the physical location .... or the proximity of
other cables and devices (since I bet the rpi3 is in the same physical
space as the failed rpi2 and using the same physical cables to connect to
the weather station routed in the same manner around your premises) ......

Still - let's see when it fails ..... and what the log says at that time