On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 10:33:25 PM UTC-5, Terry Hock wrote:

> Hi,
>    I am trying to get the Peet Brothers Ultimeter 2100 working *reliably*.
> The issues appears to be the serial-USB converter. The system can run
> flawless for hours or at other times no more than 10 minutes and then weewx
> stops updating. I have previously used an Accurite weather station with no
> issues, so I am only changing the driver by using wee_config.

hi terry,

it would help to see more of the log, in particular the messages that lead
up to that 'no such file or directory' message.

is the ultimeter connected directly to the pi, or via a hub?

what kind of rpi is it?

are you plugging/unplugging things into the rpi while the ultimeter is
connected?

whenever there is a usb reset, the usb-to-serial device may change, e.g.,
from /dev/ttyUSB0 to /dev/ttyUSB1.  it depends on what else is connected to
the usb, and it depends on how flaky the usb hub is.  the usb 'hub' built
in to first-generation rpi is not as reliable as rpi2 or rpi3.  the usb on
all rpi is sensitive to the type of power supply you use to power the pi.

next time you see that error message, do 'ls /dev/ttyUS*'.

if this is, in fact, what i happening on your system, you can work around
it by using a udev rule to change the device name to /dev/ultimeter, for
example.  that will not fix the problem, but weewx will be able to recover
without your intervention.