mwall, Andrew,
  Thanks for all the great info and links. I think I'll be doing more
testing with only the USB serial converter connected to the PI, I'm going
to disconnected all my other devices and then let it run. I will also
redefine my FTDI converter,
My other USB devices are a Dell keyboard and Logitech mouse connected
through a powered USB hub and a Logitech C920 webcam connected directly to
the pi. in looking at the log file it might be something to do with my
no-name USB hub.

Thanks again for the great suggestions.
Terry