I restarted mosquitto and when I use mosquitto_sub -d -t weather I get:

Client mosqsub|16684-ru-pi sending CONNECT
Client mosqsub|16684-ru-pi received CONNACK
Client mosqsub|16684-ru-pi sending SUBSCRIBE (Mid: 1, Topic: weather, QoS:
0)
Client mosqsub|16684-ru-pi received SUBACK
Subscribed (mid: 1): 0
Client mosqsub|16684-ru-pi received PUBLISH (d0, q0, r1, m0, 'weather', ...
(11 bytes))
*temperature*
Client mosqsub|16684-ru-pi received PUBLISH (d0, q0, r0, m0, 'weather', ...
(10 bytes))
INTE:72.50
Client mosqsub|16684-ru-pi received PUBLISH (d0, q0, r0, m0, 'weather', ...
(10 bytes))
INTE:72.39

So I need to figure out how to clear the buffer.

Don't worry about insulting me. Many have said I know just enough to be
dangerous.  I fairly sure that I made the sketch changes. Will verify that.

With each run of the sketch loop I get something like:
20.50
68.79
Published: INTE:68.79

The first two lines are serial printing the temp in C and then my converted
to F value.