or, since you identified the cause, you could just fix the problem in the
index.html.tmpl file.

Notice how the standard weewx template checks each tag before using it for
data, and make sure all fields/tags in the index template
a) exist and
b) if the field is derived make sure component fields are within acceptable
range (usually not null and maybe >0 depending on which tag is causing the
issue)

Worth a go to try and fix the problem - surely!!