On Thursday, August 22, 2019 at 1:41:40 PM UTC-5, WindnFog wrote:

> Thanks for the performance and power metrics, Vince. Precisely the kind of
> information for which I was looking.
>
> I have 3.9.2 running the simulator on a 4GB Pi 4 as well.  It's sitting
> around 45-46 C with a little fan, and I'm using a powered USB for now to
> handle the keyboard and mouse, etc. I wanted to use the Flirc cases, and
> I'd be interested to hear if you can cut a cable slot (with a Dremel tool
> or the like.)  I want to use the Pi 4 with a camera to take a photo of my
> yard every 5 minutes, and I stared at the pictures of Flirc cases for some
> time. There seems to be no way to get a cable from the plug to outside the
> case.  I like the idea of passive cooling, hence the Flirc stands out.  Are
> there any hidden "braces," screw holes, etc. that might be a problem if one
> were to cut a small cable slot?  I currently have a Pi 3+ taking the
> photos, and transferring them to a standard PC running weewx under CentOS.
> It's a "Rube Goldberg" software and hardware combination, and I think it'd
> be easy to have the Pi 4 do everything.  Simple is always better.
>

>> There already is a slot in the bottom of the Flirc Pi 4 case which is
intended for a (much wider and slightly thicker) ribbon cable from the GPIO
connector, which should work fine (with reasonably careful routing of the
cable) for a camera cable. A word of warning, however, if you want to use a
40-pin GPIO connector and cable, you have to use cables with special,
narrow, connectors (there is a link to appropriate cables in the Flirc case
FAQ); standard connectors foul the case 'pillars' and will not allow it to
close.