Hi,

As you have found adding hailRate to [StdWXCalculate] [[Calculations]] does
nothing as StdWXCalculate does not know how to calculate hailRate. It was
not specifically raised to address this issue but issue #491
<https://github.com/weewx/weewx/issues/491>, if it continues down the path
it is presently on, will likely see StdWXCalculate evolve such that the
user will be able to define their own rate based derived observations (just
like rainRate) via a few config lines in weewx.conf. If you can hang on
until (hopefully) the next WeeWX point release you should see this feature
added (provided I can get it past Tom and provided the next point release
does not come out too soon :) ). Since your hailRate observation would be a
derived one, and given that wee_database now has the ability to backfill
derived observations, the delay should not see you miss any data.

If you really do want to implement your derived hailRate now you would need
to modify the current StdWXCalculate behaviour or write a separate service
to calculate hailRate.

Gary