Gary,

thanks for the link and the explanation. I fear there is some code to
understand and to change that to hailRate, will be be out of my skills I
fear.
Should I raise a feature request in weewx git to add a second or third rain
value in the databse with included rainRate computation?

Adding a additional
rain1
field to the database and assign it to the rain group would not enable
rainRate computation for that added new value I think?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Christian