Thank you John. I have more questions. I'll try and be specific so the next
person who wants to grab an image, resize it, and include it in the ftp
process can go it easier.

Looking at my passwrd file I see:
www-data:x:33:33:www-data:/var/www:/usr/sbin/nologin

Would I remove the /nologin?

Can you explain this please? "once that is done you can sudo su - www-data
and add the cron entry."

My bigger question is, where did weewx set permissions for itself? Does
that happen in the install process?