Thank you for all the suggestions. I need to take my linux-fu a lot.

Before I can move forward, I have a problem on my weather station Pi. On my
'dev' Pi this wget command works as expected wget --user=user
--password=user  http://192.168.254.33/jpg/image.jpg?size=3
-O/home/pi/Pictures/image.jpg works as expected

When I run the same wget command on my weather station Pi I get an error
message :schema Missing from wget. it makes the file but there isn't any
data in the file. if I put the URL into a browser window I get the image I
expect.

if it matters, I am running WeeWX directly. I believe both Pi's have the
same version of the operating system and I didn't change any permissions.

I'm out of ideas...