Thanks Glenn,

I'm not sure the OWFS solution is much simpler than just programming a
counter for the gauge. What I don't know is how you take that count and
insert it into WeeWx. This is partly because I'm not sure how WeeWx
processes data from rain gauges, and I don't know how to get into the
SQLite DB to dig around and figure it out.

It would be pretty easy to write a Python script to count the bucket flips
of the Rain Gauge, but how to get that process to then report to WeeWx, I'm
not sure where to learn that.