One wire to the chosen GPIO pin (set in weewx.conf) and one to GND.

Nope. I might keep it for a future project, but not used here

Yeah I'm guessing it's just because the wire is not direct burial rated.
I'll be routing mine through PVC

I keep it in a shed in the orchard. All components are mounted to a piece
of plywood. For power I have a 20w solar panel with a Renogy Wanderer solar
charge controller and a 6Ah battery. I may increase the battery size, as
the system also powers an OpenSprinkler controller and 16 zone extender.
The Pi serves as a WeeWx host, MQTT bridge with my HomeAssistant server and
reverse proxy to serve the Open Sprinkler. I'll add an Ecowitt HS80 and
GW1100 soon to complete the station.

I may once I finish things up, but there's not much to see with the GPIO
Rain Gauge since literally the only setup is connecting the two wires to
the two RPi pins.