Essentially yes. I would login with the user account that has docker access
and clone my repo in the current directory (~). Then I would configure the
docker-compose.yml and the weewx.conf files inside my config folder and use
the shell script to build it out.

You probably have to tinker with the setup as I got this to work on Ubuntu
and not on Debian.

Also, you do not have to use MariaDB with weewx. I like using MariaDB
because I like to query the live db to run checks and to build a new
interface in the future.

Let me know where you end up. I am checking my email daily now so I can be
more available to help.