On Friday, March 4, 2022 at 6:08:22 AM UTC-5 f4n...@gmail.com wrote:

> I just found out rtl_433 is the cause of the 70% nonstop cpu usage. I
> optimized the rtl_433 command:
>
> cmd = rtl_433 -f 868.3M -M time:utc -M protocol -M level -F json -Y
> classic -Y autolevel -Y squelch -s 250k -R 78 -R 32
> (added squelch, autolevel and reduced bandwith to 250k).
>
> CPU usage down to 15%, let's see how this goes. Maybe I will try out
> whether neowx-material will still occupy the cpu for so long.

thank you for this!  i will add it to the weewx-sdr readme.  do you know
how much each of those options affect the performance?  i would guess that
the '-R 32' is the biggest one, since that tells rtl_433 to look for only
one specific type of data.

as for weewx, the report generation is the biggest load.  i often run
multiple (4-5) weewx instances on a low-power machine for data collection,
and generate only a single, simple skin for each instance on the data
collector.  but i then upload the data to another, more capable machine for
aggregation.  i typically use influx for the aggregation, with a grafana
front-end.

if you want weewx to generate reports on the aggregation end of things,
then you'll have to figure out a way to get the data from the data
collector to the aggregator.  i can imagine a few ways of doing this:

a) configure the collector to save to a mysql database, then run the
wee_report utility on the aggregator to generate the reports, using the
mysql database as the source

b) write a weewx driver that receives data, and a weewx uploader that sends
it

c) use the wunderground uploader to send data, and the weewx-interceptor
driver to receive it

i am sure there are other options!