Yet again I am thinking about new Hardware. I own a WS-28xx clone, in many
ways, is a great device and running flawlessly for almost 8 years now.
Downside is a poor outside humidity accuracy, which made me use a homebrew
SHT3x sensor to augment realistic measurements and override the stations
values. No showstopper, but a limitation is the need of a hardware
connections which makes running the station software (I use weewx, haha!)
in a container base environment a little difficult. Also, the 30sec.
interval of its loop packets is a little slow for a skin showing live date,
at least for wind and gusts, but a refresh rate like that would not be a
problem if the reliability is as good as the WS28xx. Out of 793680 possible
archive values in the timespan since installation, I only missed 2931 so
far, most of them not related to an issue with the device (like low battery
etc.)

I tried a Weatherflow Tempest some two years ago which got me really upset
in so many ways. And  an all-in-one, voodoo-magic measurements generating,
not really a personal weather station, but a cloud node device-design, is
an absolute no way to go. (Cloud upload is okay, quirksy, somehow adjusted
values that differ from the actual hardware readings, is not)

So, what are my requirements?

Observation Types

Accurate, and even more important, reproducible measurements of:

-outside Temperature

-outside Humidity

-precipitation

-wind and wind direction

-barometer

Nice to have:

-radiation

-UV

-inside temperature

-inside humidity

Hardware Layout: modular, independent sensors for wind/windDir,
outTemp/outHumidity, precipitation. An independent, solar powered
anemometer is a must have, nice to have for the other sensors. The reason
for this requirement is probably best explained when you take a brief look
at the current installation:
https://www.kainzbauer.net/weather/Rif/news.html Changing the batteries up
there isn't something I want to do on a regular base, the little hut for
the other sensors really works, compared to solutions with plastic
shieldings, ventilation or even worse: algorithmic attempts to guess the
real value, like the Tempest does (and fails so hard in many situations).

Also, a nice to have, is a hardware console.

A must have is also the possibility to backfill values if, for whatever
reasons, weewx isn't there to collect the data, at least for two or three
days, and a driver that can take care of this. If the backfill source is
some cloud service or the device directly, either way is OK, as long as it
works.

So far, I am considering three possibilities:

- Stay with the WS28xx, even buy the one or other spare and augment
dissatisfying readings and other data, from other sources. It is cheap,
robust, and has proven its reliability (at least to me).

- Buy a Davis Vantage Pro 2 and an extra transmitter kit for the wind and
UV/radiation sensor. The rain bucket should be detachable from the humitemp
(right?) How does the Davis work in terms of backfilling data?

- Buy some Ecowitt devices, the SHT35 based humitemp should do a decent job
outside, and there are so many options, one should find the right stuff.
And it is in a price class that makes redundancy and hoarding spare parts
affordable. Does backfilling work with GW1100? If not, can you get it
working with a console or in any other way?

What else is out there? The price tag is also worth considering, but not a
showstopper, if it is worth the money. But still: one full-featured Vantage
Pro 2 is an equivalent for more than 15 WS-28xx Stations…

Happy to read your suggestions!