Advantages ?  If you're happy running the packaged variant, that'll
continue to work for you.

Personally, I went with pip here for a variety of reasons:

   1. it's trivial to back it all up
   2. you can easily install parallel new versions to test before updating
   3. no battling rpm or yum or zypper or whatever unique frustrating
   installer each os has
   4. lets you install and run the same way on every os almost
   5. it doesn't pollute your os config at all, the venv is standalone and
   contained
   6. the same mechanism (excluding systemd service) basically works if you
   later want to go docker

For me, (1) and (2) are the things that are most important, but I used to
run setup.py installs for over a decade anyway so it was a natural
progression.   Moving to the pip variant just makes both items much 'much'
easier for me to handle.